Saturday, November 16, 2013

7/365 - Mars Red PPU2-11

Day Seven - Mars Red PPU2-11

Today, I did my own version of a prompt that said to create something with paint swatches from a hardware store. I used only one.....

The last couple of months before my surgery, the headaches were so bad and so constant that I had to find some way to distract myself. Conversations were getting very difficult, too..... the left part of your brain (left temporal lobe, to be exact) controls language function. If your entire left hemisphere is being severely squished, it makes communication very difficult. I was in my own little bubble. The headaches couldn't be treated pharmaceutically  ~ there is not a medication that can help a headache that is caused by intercranial pressure. The only relief is to relieve the pressure through surgery, which I eventually had. So what do you do when you feel like your head is in a vice, are basically home bound, and can barely stand to be around anyone because it is so exhausting?
You find some form of distraction.
I redecorated my apartment. I painted everything, except my bedroom. And I mean everything.... cabinets, walls, picture frames, knobs, if it could be painted, I painted it. I was in my own little insane Van Gogh frenzy. It got me through when I thought that I just couldn't go on anymore.... it is how I spent my days while I waited for surgery.

Anyway....
I had a paint chip sample thingy for my bedroom, but never got around to that room. I'm glad that I didn't get to that room, actually..... it's like I still have a bit of a blank canvas waiting for me, a room to fill with new colors post-surgery.

I don't know what I was thinking when I picked up that color... it's not what I want, now. I was a bit worried that I might return home and think - "what the hell was I THINKING?" - when I returned from surgery and saw all of these things that I did, but I was actually quite pleased. The rest of my apartment is purple, green, blue, teal, lavender, turquoise, and even gold ~ I love it. I love being surrounded by all of these colors.

But I don't like this color. Not for that room, anyway. It doesn't feel right.

The paint chip reminded me of a flamingo body, so it became my flamingo of the day.
I returned it to Home Depot and left it there.... I love little "wtf" moments. If I walked up to look at paint colors and saw a picture taped there, I'd think "WTF?". Then I'd laugh ~ not surprising, since I laugh about everything unexpected. I hope that I gave someone else a "wtf" moment.
If not, oh well. I had fun doing it.

My daughter and her boyfriend helped me to navigate my way through Home Depot, since my vision is still too whacked to drive or find my way through a store on my own. My daughter and I have a blast sometimes acting goofy in stores. When he kicked something down the aisle like a soccer ball, I thought "yep. he'll fit right in".

I had terrible headaches today because of the weather, but it was still a good day.

When in pain, don't focus on it. Do something. Create something. Distraction.....




by the way..... we did lose each other, briefly. I blindly wandered off. 
I heard my daughter's voice... "Marco!"
I yelled "Polo!"
That's how we roll. Play. Have fun. Enjoy every moment.