Friday, December 20, 2013

41/365 -Quilling

Prompt: Work with shredded paper. Use an actual paper shredder or simply cut paper into thin strips. Maybe even give quilling a try.

I've never done quilling, so I thought I'd give it a shot. 

I am trying to get used to my new prism glasses..... one of the lenses has a prism film over it. This brings the two images that I see together. It is a temporary fix for my double vision.
It is also a very strange thing to get used to. It warps shapes a bit, when viewed close up. Nothing looks quite right. I was grocery shopping yesterday, and I picked up a frozen dinner (yeah.... cooking? No thanks, not yet... ). My first thought was, how peculiar that they changed the packaging to this..... not sure I like this new packaging. It makes no sense. It was square, but not quite. It was warped in a strange way. I took off the glasses and realized the prisms were distorting the shape. 
Good to know, when I start wondering why everything is a bit lopsided. :/
Another weird thing - the reflection of the light on the lense with the prism film creates small rainbows on white objects. It adds a bit of an aura of some color around most objects, it is just more noticeable on white objects. And at night....... wow, do things look odd. Try looking at a light through a prism.... 
My positive spin on the strange rainbow effect ~ my world is a bit more colorful. 
How can that be a bad thing, right?
I haven't come up with a positive spin for the odd warping effect, yet. Perhaps just knowing that the glasses are creating it is enough....... 
another one of those 'mind over matter' things...



Thankfully, this is not a new normal. It is a temporary new normal. And it's a hell of a lot better than double vision. And I can drive now, hallelujah. Until my vision improves, or I have surgery to fix this to the extent possible, I'll just have to adjust to an odd new way of looking at the world. 
At least I can see, although what I see is a bit skewed.. 

I was thinking about how people sometimes say "God will never give me more than I can handle". Or.... the well intentioned, attempting to comfort version - "God will never give you more than you can handle". If that gives a person comfort when they are faced with difficult situations, great. More power to them. But personally, religious beliefs aside, I don't buy that. I don't believe that a Higher Power, whatever power that may be, would 'give' difficulties to anyone.
"Hmmmm.... she seems like a strong person, let me slam her with some tough shit. She can handle it". 
Nope, I don't buy it.
 Shit happens. Period. That is life. 
Anyone can handle anything that they are confronted with.
Where the focus should be is not if we can handle it, but rather how we handle it....
People handle everything, in one way or another.
We choose how we handle difficult situations. 
Life goes on, regardless. 

anyway..... that's my cyborg thought for the day.

I took my glasses off to try this. I could see it well enough up close to pass on the warping & flickering rainbow effect. 
It was kinda fun... I might play around with paper a little bit this evening.